What is a Sustainable Business?
A company that has a plan to balance the human and environmental impact of doing business. This typically requires a comprehensive and ongoing plan that addresses human and environmental concerns at every step in a supply chain.
What is Sustainable Clothing?
A clothing brand with a comprehensive and ongoing plan that addresses human and environmental concerns at every step in their supply chain. A clothing supply chain generally consists of the following:
1: Raw Materials Production
2: Yarn Processing
4: Warehouses, Offices and Stores
Why is Sustainable Clothing important?
The clothing industry has a massive global footprint and it is one of the largest, most polluting industries in the world. Clothing ranks near the top of the list for many crucial industry metrics like land use, resource consumption, number of employees and CO2 emissions. On top of that, clothing is the #1 purchased item online around the world. Everyone in the world wears clothing every day. That means a ton of packaging and potentially a ton of waste. The grand scale of the clothing industry means it has a profound impact on human and environmental health.
If the clothing industry can transition to a more eco-friendly model, it would have a noticeable impact on our human and environmental health.
How is ABODE OUTSIDE sustainable?
ABODE OUTSIDE uses a comprehensive and ongoing sustainability strategy that addresses human and environmental concerns at every step in our supply chain. Here is a snapshot of our strategy:
1. We support sustainable cotton farmers and use a variety of eco-friendly yarn
2. We work exclusively with one of the leading clothing manufacturers in the world with an exceptional record of employee safety and wellbeing. All of our items are made in clean, safe, responsible factories.
3. All items are designed in our solar powered offices in Minnesota. We installed solar panels in 2018 and our offices have been 100% solar powered ever since.
4. All products are made with eco-friendly yarn and packaging. We avoid plastic at all costs.
5. We use a revolutionary “Ecosizing“ model. All of our styles are carefully designed to comfortable fit men and women. This means less deadstock for retailers and less waste in our landfills.
6. We donate a percentage of every sale to wilderness protection. Currently all donations are going to Save the Boundary Waters. The Boundary Waters, located in Northern Minnesota, is America’s most visited wilderness destination. It is currently threatened by pollution from mining.
What is Responsible Clothing?
Responsible clothing is essentially the same is Sustainable clothing. The words are often interchangeable and they can mean the same thing. A responsible clothing brand is a sustainable clothing brand. A responsible adult lives sustainably.
Use a clothing factory as an example. When a clothing factory is built in a town, it has a massive impact on that town. It takes up land, employs residents, uses resources and creates opportunity for financial growth. If that factory is managed responsibly, it will thrive and grow and have a positive impact on the town. A responsible factory pays their employees fairly and cares about their wellbeing. A responsible factory minimizes resources consumption and pollution. If that factory is managed selfishly and irresponsibly, the employees, the town and its residents will suffer.
What Eco-friendly Yarn do you use?
We use a variety of eco-friendly yarns depending on the intended use of the garment:
1. BCI Cotton
2. Recycled Polyester
4. Natural Wool
5. Merino Wool
How is your packaging eco-friendly?
All items are packaged using paper-based materials. We use twine and paper hangtags. We partner with Ecoenclose for 100% recyclable shipping bags. We never use plastic, except on a few rare occasions where there are no other options. In those cases we are actively working on finding eco-friendly alternatives.
Do you accept returns?
Yes, we accept returns within 30 days if you have proof of purchase and the product is in its original condition. Please read our return policy for more information on how to initiate a return.